Friday, September 20, 2013

Hello all!

I've been in Munich for five days now (it feels more like ages!) so I have lots to tell you, but first things first! Here's a little look into my arrival:




This was the bathroom stall I immediately visited after my 12 hour flight from SF to Munich, and every bathroom has been the same since. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the toilet brush, but they all have them! I took this picture with my phone and didn't realize the sound was on, so it made a shutter noise when I took it...awkwaaard. There were also these scrolling hand towel dispensers, but I wasn't brave enough to look like a total noob and take a photo of those :/

My room:



The outlet adapter works like a charm :) thank you Katie!
and of course can't forget the bathroom:


The very same kind of bathroom I had been making fun of in Ikea right before going to the airport for my flight, karmaaa. It's not bad though, I've only hit my knee on the sink while showering once so far :) Side note, the toilets don't really FLUSH. There's no swirly action. It just starts with very little water and then kinda dumps a bunch of water in there and floods to push everything down and out.

Down the hall is our shared kitchen/dining/lounge area with these gorgeous views:



That random tower is the Olympiaturm in Olympiapark, built for the Summer Olympics which they had here in 1972, not the 80's like I thought haha. I haven't been out there yet, but hopefully sometime soon! Also those other tall buildings are probably the tallest in Munich, they don't really have "skyscrapers" here. AAAND contrary to what you "green" people might think, the grass on the roofs of the low buildings is totally accidental. It's just because they have rocks on the top that the plants can then grow from.

Things I have immediately noticed as different:

This section is for you Meag!

1. Obviously, the bathrooms. 'nuff said.
2. They refer to fizzy/carbonated water as "water with gas." THAT one caught me off guard. No ma'am, I do not want my water with gas :) danke schoen.
3. Everyone and their MOTHER drives a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Volkswagen (pronounced folksVAgen) and it's either a really box-y European style van, a sedan, or a hatchback.
4. All the doors (on my hall at least) aren't made so that the door closes flush with the door jam, it's more like fitting two tetris "L" pieces together, so I think my door is open constantly even though it's fully closed.
5. They write their ones differently. They look like little teepees, instead of lines.
6. Speaking of lines, I haven't found anything that could be referred to as a street "block"; their streets go any way they please and curve whenever they feel like it.
7. When getting on/off any public transportation (trains, trams, buses) you have to open the door yourself. The older ones have handles, new ones have buttons.
8. There's a pretzel stand/bakery window in every major subway station.
9. The two restaurants I've been in both had long, rectangular tables all put together, made of black stained wood, and lots of coat racks along the walls/on the pillars.

OH and mixing coke (or other cola) and orange soda is a huge thing. It's called spezi (pronounced shpetzi) and it's delicious :)

That's all folks!

P.S. "Prost, alter" means "Cheers, dude" NOT "Cheers, old" as Google Translate will tell you. It's the first phrase my German flatmates taught me, but then they're from Northern Germany so they might just be messing with me. It does also mean old in other parts of Germany, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment