Friday, January 24, 2014

Münchner Christkindlmarkt

This was the last time I went to the Munich Christmas market, so I actually took pictures this time :) However, it was after I had been in class, so they're just with my phone :/ mrrr.

Here's a blurry picture of the sign:


We made our way down this street and snacked on gebrannte Mandeln, which are deliciously candied almonds. Then we got some heisse Maroni (roasted chestnuts) and stood by a (tiny) trashcan while eating them. They have them on literally every corner, but I had never had them before. They were wonderfully warm, good for my hands, and weirdly mushy. They were very...meaty, but I did like them. Anything is better than walnuts, bleck.

The Rathaus, City Hall:



We meandered around the stands for awhile, which after visiting so many Christmas markets I realized had mostly all the same stuff, but we did find cute little Munich themed ornaments and a kiosk that was selling cutting boards that you could get a phrase or your name carved into. I decided to buy one for the family and told the lady I would like "Schaefer" carved into it, which she spelled "Schäfer" ;) succeeeess. 

Then we got these:


That's some sort of cheesy cream spread, with bacon and onions. Magic.

And drank some Feuerzangenbowle here:


Feuerzangenbowle is a special form of glühwein, where they take a rum-soaked sugar cube, set it on fire, and melt it into the glühwein. It's even morrre delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment